Dandruff is a natural condition where your dead scalp cells turn into flakes,
interrupting natural hair growth and scalp health. Keep reading to know how you can reduce
dandruff and hair fall easily using clinically approved methods.
How Does Dandruff Formation Take Place?
What is dandruff?
According to dermatologists, these are tiny, dry scalp cells that accumulate as dead masses around hair follicles and occasionally shedding over the shoulders (minuscule white crystal-like appearance).
Who’s Prone to Develop Dandruff?
Dandruff is not a disorder and affects every 1 out of 2 people in the world. Men are at a higher risk of developing dandruff than women. Understand that drying of hair scalp is natural, but when you notice excessive shedding, it’s dandruff. Patients with dandruff experience one or more of the following conditions:
- Poor hygiene
- Unclean hair
- Yeast growth in the roots of hair follicles (Malassezia)
- Pre-developed skin problems (dermatitis, eczema, or psoriasis-like conditions)
How to Prevent Dandruff in Your Hair?
Dandruff has no permanent cure. You can stay free of dandruff problems with regular care and clinical treatment of your hair problems. The foremost step to prevent dandruff is preventing the accumulation of excess oil around the hair follicles. Here’s how to reduce dandruff and hairfall :
Daily hair care routine
Comb your hair daily. It helps spread excess oils from the root to the tip. A yeast-like growth (Malassezia) grows around clogged hair pores. Regular combing enhances hair growth, preventing oil accumulation around the roots of hair follicles.
Washing your hair to remove dandruff
Daily bathing is vital to hygiene. If you have long hair, wash it twice or thrice a week. Dry your hair with a towel and avoid rubbing vigorously (it may trigger hair fall). While washing your hair, use the fingertips and gently massage your scalp. It helps to evenly spread out the water on your hair besides cleansing any excess oil or dead scalp cell accumulation.
Hair products and dandruff
Dandruff problems come naturally to people with oily skin. Try to limit oiling your hair to once every week since your hair secretes more than excess oil.
Diet and dandruff
A balanced diet rich in minerals like zinc and Vitamin B complex is helpful to prevent dermatitis-like problems. People having anxiety-related issues are more prone to experience dandruff. You may practice mindfulness besides getting adequate sleep.
How to Treat Dandruff During the Monsoon?
Spending some time under the sun helps treat dermatitis causing fungus. That’s why people experience maximum hair fall and dandruff issues during the monsoon. Most people experience dandruff as a seasonal issue. Consult with a dermatologist if your dandruff persists or turns worse than before.
Clinical Treatment of Dandruff Issues
Dandruff alone is a harmless condition. It may worsen, leading to persistent hair fall and capillary problems like alopecia, itching of the scalp, and thinning of the hairline. Clinical methods to treat dandruff include OTC drugs (anti-fungal). A dermatologist may prescribe you medicated shampoo to treat dandruff. Anti-dandruff shampoos contain the following ingredients:
- Salicylic acid
- Selenium sulfide
- Pyrithione and zinc combination
- Coal tar combination
Precautions while Treating Dandruff with Medicated Shampoos
- Shampoos with coal tar as active ingredients often show mild bleaching effects (prominent in those with blonde or golden hair).
- It reacts vigorously if in contact with broken skin or exposed tissue (do not use if having an unhealed head injury).
- Abstain contact with eyes, nasal and buccal cavity.
- If you are pregnant, consult your gynaecologist before application.
- If you are prone to allergy, apply a drop of shampoo on your wrist or ear tip before application on hair.
- The active ingredients of anti-dandruff shampoos have oxidising properties. Post-shampooing, try staying out of direct sunlight to prevent any unnecessary discomfort.
How to Treat Dandruff with Medicated Shampoo?
- Wash your hair well under running water.
- Pour a pea-sized dollop of shampoo, or as mentioned, to use.
- Apply along the direction from root to tip of the hair.
- Let it settle for around 5-minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse it off with water.
Dandruff is harmless, but most people feel embarrassed by its presence on the shoulder or back of their clothes. Visit a dermatologist and get diagnosed to learn if it’s only dandruff or any complicated hair issue.